Akaroa Lighthouse is a lighthouse in Akaroa on the Banks Peninsula in the Canterbury region of New Zealand's South Island. The lighthouse was registered on August 22, 1991 by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust at number 3343 as "Historic Place Category 2".
The tower was built between 1878 and 1879 under the direction of Scottish architects David and Thomas Stevenson on an 1875 selected spot on Akaroa Head on the west side of the entrance to Akaroa Harbor . After the operation was discontinued in 1977, the tower was demolished in 1980 in three parts and repositioned at the present location. The beacon of the publicly accessible tower is occasionally lit on special occasions. The tower is one of the few surviving wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. Special features of the building are the triangular windows and the copper dome of the lantern.
|License:||CC0 - Public Domain|
|Gallery / Sub Gallery||Man Made / Lighthouse|
|ID / Resolution / Size / Type||974119 / 2048x1289 / 1.01 MB / JPG|
|Date Added||2 years, 5 months, 13 days ago|
|Favorited By||Stefinmiami JerseyGirl|
|Logged In||Improve Categorization Report Content Suggest Names Mark Duplicates Set Themes|